Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Why the Long Face?

As I was going for a walk by the canal, I noticed two dogs; one was sitting in a canal boat and the other one was sitting outside. The dog outside was whining and looking so miserable I stopped to chat to him.

"Hi mate, why the long face?"

The dog whined and then picked up a stone in its mouth and dropped it at my feet.

"What do you want me to do with the stone? Play fetch?"

I hurled the stone away and the dog ran and caught it in his mouth and brought it to me.

"Good dog!" I said.

I threw the stone again and he caught it in his mouth and returned it to me.

I applauded. By this time the dog had slobbered all over the stone but I was having too much fun to care. I threw the stone in the air and the dog tried to catch it but missed. He brought the stone back to me.

I threw it again and he caught it in his mouth and brought it to me.

"Listen, mate, I can't stay here all day playing fetch with you," I said to him. "I have to go."

After stroking his head, I walked away without looking back otherwise I would have stayed playing fetch forever.

Later I thought about how dogs remind me of my nature as joy. I know I feel down when I'm not expressing my joy. No wonder my friend was looking so unhappy as he wasn't expressing his joy at the time.

At least we got to play for a few minutes.

Enocia

Related articles: Happiness - Revisited; Penalty Shootouts