Tuesday, 1 September 2009

These Feet Were Made for Walking

One thing I love about going for long walks is that I get to discover more about myself.

Recently while I was on a walk with a friend, I took him to a park I'd discovered a while back. At the time I also wanted to show him an idyllic spot that overlooks the river that I love but I couldn't remember how to get there.

So I decided to explore that park again with the intention of finding that idyllic spot. Then I had a brilliant idea: why not ask my feet to take me where I need to go? As I was walking I kept wondering whether I should turn left or right and ended up somewhere else.

"OK, feet, I'm going to just let you take me to the spot!"

I relaxed and let my feet take over. It felt like I was being lead by a dog on lead. I watched as the "dog" took the opposite direction. It was then I remembered where we were. In a few minutes I was exactly where I needed to be.

"Good dog!"

I sat on a bench to enjoy the scenery and marvelled at how beautiful and peaceful it was.

After I'd had enough drinking in the scenery, I asked my feet to take me on a long walk, somewhere I've never been to before. I said I expected the walk to be delightful.

My feet took me all the way to the Olympic Park, currently under construction for the 2012 Olympics. On the way I got chatting to this woman cyclist about the pros and cons of hosting the Olympics. My friend wasn't keen on the idea as she thought it was a waste of money. I told her I believed it's brings new opportunities, which we are enjoying now such as areas of London being regenerated. I said I was looking forward to the actual events. We also talked about what it means to find a place where your heart is. I told her my heart is in the UK. My friend was born in England and moved to America when she was two years old. She's recently moved to the UK and can't decide whether her heart is in the UK. She said she loves where she's living at the moment, which happens to be only up the road from me. We talked about our love for the local marshes and the canal. I even recommended places for her to explore.

I also met a man and woman walking their Bichon Frise dog which, to me, looked like walking cotton wool. The dog was very affectionate. I asked her how big that breed grows and she said she was now an adult dog (8 months old). She said although the dog's fur doesn't moult, it does grow quite fast and she has to keep trimming it. She also bathes her once every week.

At the Olympic Park, there were other people on guided tour exploring the park, which looks a long way from finishing. I chatted to some security guards about the area. They asked me where I had come from. I told them I had no idea how far in terms of distance, all I knew was I'd been walking continuously for over two and a half hours.

I decided it was time to head back home. I asked my feet to take me back the quickest route and I didn't need to rest until I got home.

One thing about my feet is if left to their own devices, they would keep me going for ages. That's when I have to put my foot down and say "Enough is enough!"

Thank you, feet, for another enjoyable walk.

Enocia

Related articles: Cutting Out the Middle Man; The Present Past and the Present Future; Why I Need My Walkies; Being Led Up the Garden Path; What is Stamina?; Where the Heart Is