Wednesday, 5 August 2009

What is Mental Illness?

Yesterday I met up with a cousin I haven't seen in a long while, possibly 20 years. I remember going to visit her at a mental hospital where she was under psychiatric care.

It was really good to see her again. She said she's been on medication for many years and they're helping her to cope with life. As we chatted I reminded her of when I used to visit her at her house. She said she used to hear voices from the books around her.

Call me bonkers but I believe that it's only natural to pick up thoughts because I believe all things are ideas in Mind. When I realised picking up thoughts and ideas was natural, I also realised I have the power to tune in or out.

It has also been my experience that questions and answers always arise as one. These ideas can come from books, the Internet and other people. Therefore, as long as I continue to ask questions, I'll always be picking up thoughts. I believe a lot of people who claim to be "channelling" are only picking up recycled thoughts, that's why they lack originality.

When you're not aware of your true nature and start picking up on thoughts, it's bound to seem scary. People who don't have a point of reference try to put you in a box. I can perfectly understand why psychiatrists tend to label patients whose world view don't fit in with the norm because it's their way of making them fit in. I remember how badly I had wanted to understand my cousin at the time when she was in hospital but I couldn't relate to her reality. I guess that must have been one of the reasons why we didn't stay in contact. It was only when I went through an emotional breakdown (or was it a breakthrough?) and I had a paradigm shift that I could understand where she was coming from.

Back to our conversation, I told my cousin I used to see/hear thoughts a lot until I learned how to "block" them out. I said now I only consciously let thoughts in that I choose to let in.

Before she left she said to me, "I have to tell you something. There are many yous, you know."

"What do you mean?" I said.

"It's difficult to explain. While your mind is feeling peaceful, there are other yous out there doing stuff."

"Oh, I know what you mean," I said. "I believe we are all multi-dimensional beings that exist everywhere."

She was genuinely pleased that I could understand her. Of course I can! It takes one nutter to understand another. It also turned out both of us are the same age, I'm 3 weeks older than her.

Given how extensively I have written about my inner journeys and realisations, which are not exactly orthodox, I'm sure some people think I'm a sandwich short of a picnic. That's why I don't do doctors.

Seems to me like the lunatics are taking over the asylum. And why not?

Enocia

Related articles: Help is Always Available Directly or Indirectly; It's Only Natural - Revisited; Some Things are Not Worth Taking Personally; What is a Prodigy?; Same Old Me; Your Box is Empty - Revisited; Home Away From Home; Using Discernment; Who is Thinking Whom? - Revisited; The Point of No Return; Thought Impulses and Detachment