Saturday, 25 July 2009

It's a Different World

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a different world to most people.

When I went to collect my mother's prescription from her doctor's I drew a blank. I couldn't remember how the system works i.e. that you have to sign on behalf of the patient and what boxes to tick. I guess it's been such a long time since I've experienced that system, it feels quite foreign, like they're speaking a language I no longer understand.

While I was waiting to collect the tablets at the pharmacist, I sat next to this woman. I saw she had this strange looking object so I asked her what it was. She said it was for prescriptions. As I still couldn't make out what it was, I asked her to explain. The thing had 28 compartments with the 7 days of the week at the top and the four times of the day on the left. She said that because her husband needs to take tablets four times a day, it helps him or his carer remember when to take the next ones. Now it made sense. The packet was like a bigger version of the "pill." I remember when I used to take the pill, I found it really handy having the days to remind me.

My friend said her husband was in a nursing home at the moment and had run out of tablets and she's been running back and forth trying to sort it out. I told her I was collecting my mother's prescription. I said I was bewildered at first because it's been such a long time since I was at a doctor's surgery.

"Don't you go to doctors?"

"No," I said.

"You've never been to a doctor?"

"Oh I used to, it's just I haven't been to one in years. I don't even have one now."

"But how do you cope?"

"I just pray."

"That's good. What church do you go to?"

"I don't follow any religion, I just believe in God," I said.

When the pharmacist called out my mother's name, I said goodbye to my friend and wished her and her husband well.

It's funny how the world is still the same and yet it's totally different from the one I now live in.

Enocia

Related articles: I Am What I Am; Some Things are Not Worth Taking Personally; The Power of Unbelief; From Mediator to Source; Where Do You Live?; Living on My Own Planet